Who We Are
The Evangelical University is a private Christian accredited University that is intentionally residential. It exists as a ministry of the Evangelical Fellowship of Zambia (EFZ). The institution is a flagship of conservative evangelicalism in Zambia.
The school was the brain child of the Africa Evangelical Fellowship (AEF). It was founded in 1965 as the Bible College of Central Africa (BCCA) to mitigate the need for Bible taught preachers.
The Evangelical Fellowship of Zambia (EFZ) took ownership in 1980 to administer the institution as the Theological College of Central Africa (TCCA), out of the realisation of the need for quality, contextual, relevant, evangelical theological education in the rapidly growing Zambian Church. TCCA officially transitioned from college to university status in 2014 and the name change was effected in 2015.
The school offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Certificate programmes. The non-residential Postgraduate programme is run in partnership with the South African Theological Seminary (SATS). While the Certificate programme is designed specifically for Pastors’ wives and other women in ministry.
The EU is accredited with the Higher Education Authority of Zambia (HEA) and the Association for Christian Theological Education in Africa (ACTEA).
Statement of Faith
We commit ourselves wholeheartedly to God and accept fully the revelation, which He has given us in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. We also identify ourselves with the faith of the Christian church as it has been expressed throughout history and is experienced around the world. We accept the Statement of Faith of the Association of Evangelicals in Africa (AEA) as an expression of the crucial aspects of the Christian faith.
We believe that:
- The Holy Scriptures of the Old and the New Testaments are the Word of God. It is divinely inspired, infallible, entirely trustworthy, and serves as the supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
(2 Tim. 3:16-17)
- God is One. The One God is eternally self-existent in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
(Deut. 6:4-5; Mt. 28:19)
- Jesus Christ is Saviour and Lord. As God He was manifest in the flesh. We believe in His virgin birth; His sinless human life; His divine miracles; His vicarious and atoning death; His bodily resurrection; His ascension; His present mediatorial work; and His future personal return in power and glory.
(Lk. 1:32-33; Jn.1:1-4; 1 Tim. 2:5-6, 6:13-16)
- The Holy Spirit is God. As the third Person in the Godhead, He indwells every believer upon conversion and enables the believer to live a holy life; to witness in power; and to work for the Lord Jesus Christ.
(Ac. 5:3-4; Mt.28:19; Ac. 1:8)
- MAN was made in the image of God and sinless. By choice Man fell out of favour into sin. In God’s mercy, SALVATION comes to every lost and sinful man freely simply by faith in Jesus Christ who shed His blood for sin, and through regeneration by the Holy Spirit (Gen. 1:26-28, 3:1-21; Jn. 1:11-13; 1 Cor. 12:13).
- All true believers in Jesus Christ are ONE BODY, the Church, of which He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:13, Eph. 2:14-22).
- SATAN is a fallen angel whose intent is to supplant God and frustrate His purpose, and whose ultimate end is consignment to eternal punishment (Lk. 10:17-18; Rev. 20:10).
- The BODILY RESURRECTION of all the dead will take place someday. Believers in Christ will rise unto everlasting blessedness, while unbelievers will rise unto judgment and everlasting punishment (Rev. 20:11-15, 2 Cor. 5:9-10).
To provide training in theological religious education and related innovative programmes which are bible-based, evangelical and missional in character and relevant to the African and Global Context.